10.15.2014

Staying Fit On A Business Trip

This past weekend I was sent on a 4 day business trip to help train a new area for the company. I said yes immediately, as I was excited for the opportunity and experience. After all the details were worked out, I realized I had no idea how I would eat healthy all weekend and work out. To top it off, it was Thanksgiving weekend so all stores had weird hours. Needless to say I figured it all out and made sure my weekend was full of healthy and fit choices. 

*first day selfie after a morning workout* 


First of all, I just wanted to point out that this was my first time ever staying in a hotel alone. Here are the steps I took to make sure I was safe at all times. Yes, I know... some of these might seem a little crazy, but hey...it works.

1. Put the "do not disturb" sign on your door and don't take it off the entire time you are there. If you need fresh linen, towels or anything- be a trooper and go to the front desk yourself! 

2. Always put the deadbolt lock on when you are inside your room and keep the blinds closed when you are changing/sleeping. 

3. If you have a parking pass hanging in your rearview, always remove it when you leave the hotel. The last thing you need is someone seeing where are you staying and stopping by later to feast on the goodies in your car. 

Now the good stuff! I was fully prepared to use the gym at the hotel, but that was false advertising. "Fitness Centre" turned out to be a treadmill and a bike. As much as I love my treadmill HIIT workouts, this wasn't going to do it. I'm lucky enough to have access to my gym all across Canada, but I know some of you don't, or the hours just don't work with your schedule. I had the schedule problem as I was working 13 hour days and it was a long weekend. So I created 3 HIIT workouts to do while I was in the hotel. 

Find some space in your room, even if it means moving some stuff around and tone your body with these workouts. BEST PART.... it doesn't matter what you wear, you can even do these naked if you please! :)



                                              

My next concern was what to eat. I was only 3.5 hours away from home and wasn't able to find any of the grocery stores I usually go to for fresh food. I picked up a case of water, some tea and popcorn at target and went on an adventure for good food. 

 I was lucky enough to come across a local market that prepared fresh food daily. They had a make your own salad bar, fresh soups, pastas, sandwhiches and anything else you can think of. I was in food heaven!! 

This is an AWFUL picture, but it's the only one I was able to snap quick before rushing back to work. From left to right: yogurt covered pretzels, pasta salad with chickpeas, fruit bowl, yogurt and granola, veggie bowl, banana, chicken soup and a turkey sandwhich! 

Since I was spending Thanksgiving weekend alone, I thought it was appropriate to get myself a turkey dinner. Let's just say I'll never get to eat turkey dinner in bed with no pants on again. Probably the highlight of my trip! 

Left to right: bumbleberry pie, broccoli, mashed potatoes, turkey and gravy, stuffing, veggies and cranberry sauce!

All the food I had was INCREDIBLE. Very fresh and way better than your fast food outlets. I did however indulge in a frosty and fries my first night as I needed some comfort food.

My best advice here is to always know some good bodyweight workouts and scope out a market if possible. You never have to lose your motivation or routine of being healthy when you are out of town. All you need is a little bit of space and a market! :)

How do you stay fit and healthy while away from home?



6 comments :

  1. I love this! I always feel I have to be lazy when I go away but now I have a reason not too! Love the little workouts :-)

    phillifancies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay!! That's awesome. It's always hard to find ways to stay fit when away, especially with other people. But this would give you the opportunity to take some time to yourself as well!

      You should be able to save the images to use at a later date as well :)

      - D xo

      Delete
  2. Awesome advice :) I always try to eat healthy, but I like to indulge once or twice while I'm away. Staying active is super important too- don't want to loose momentum!
    -Angela

    blueskiesfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more! Sometimes my indulgence away from home is just comfort food. Either way you always have to treat yourself and there is no better way then when you aren't at home! :)

      - D xo

      Delete
  3. i love this post! healthy eating is quite important too. love it! need to work on my squats. you look great

    www.bumascloset.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much hun!!!! If you want to improve your squats, do them infront of a mirror with no weight. Get your form perfected (tits and ass out) and you will master it like a pro! Try different variation to see what suits you best!

      good luck :)

      - D xo

      Delete