10.08.2014

Book Review #1

I'm addicted to words. Any kinds of words. They are full of knowledge and sometimes useless facts, but regardless I'm addicted. So to kick off my first book review, I wanted to talk about two books I was completely surprised with.

1. Gone Girl- Gillian Flynn
2. Room- Emma Donoghue 

I'm going to be completely absurd here and drive those with OCD nuts. Only because I'm going to review number 2 first. :) 


Room- Emma Donoghue

I was recommended this book by one of my professors, but I was reluctant to pick it up. I finally did when I found it at one of my favourite used book stores Bearly Used Books in Parry Sound, Ontario (This place is heaven on earth for book lovers). Emma wrote the book after reading about the Fritzl Case, which involved way more kids than her book. The book is narrated by a 5-year-old named Jack. He was born in the "room" and believes that what he sees on TV is not reality (yes, their captor was 'nice' enough to give them a TV) and what's inside the room is reality. Without ruining the plot, the book is based around Jack and Ma finding a way to escape their captor. What unveils is quite clever.

What I loved about this book is that I didn't feel like I was reading a novel. I felt like I was reading a memoir of Jack and his mother. To me that makes a good fiction novel. I love that that Emma didn't over exaggerate the situation or create unrealistic events. Overall I think this is a great book for those who don't mind reading a bit into the scarier corners of life, but don't want to accept the reality of those corners.



Gone Girl- Gillian Flynn 

OMG.

That's it. That's all I have to say about this book.

Who am I kidding- I am RAVING about this. I was pretty skeptical when one of my best friends Under The Blush told me I had to read it. She's got great taste in books, but sometimes fiction just rubs me the wrong way. I was wrong, she was right. I read 3/4 of the book in one night just so I could catch the film.

Before I even discuss the plot, the way this book was written is brilliant. Gillian goes back and forth between the Husband's realtime experiences/flashbacks and the diary of the wife that was written before these events. Because of this I found myself trying to flip forward to figure out the story (don't do that...you'll ruin the surprises).

The plot centres itself around a wife who goes missing and a husband whose concern seems
non-existent. The plot twists are endless and shocking. I can't say anymore simply because of that reason. I was constantly mustering up ideas on how/why it all happened, but each new twist put my ideas to shame.

I must say, the ending could have been better. However, I have to give her credit because I don't know how she would topped her plot twists. Overall.... AMAZING and could definitely happen in real life, which is a bonus.

Tip: Read this before you watch the movie.


What are your thoughts on these books? Do you have any recommendations for me? 


10 comments :

  1. I love reading -- Mum's a librarian, so it's hard not to! -- and both of these books sound great. I've got a growing list of things to read once my semester finishes, and I've just added these to it.

    I'd personally recommend "Outlander" by Diana Gabaldon. I feel like every other woman (especially those over 30) are recommending these books because they've started airing a TV show based on them, but they are incredible. I've been reading them sporadically for the last 18 months or so, and even though they're big books, they're incredibly easy to read. The detail is also amazing, and I really enjoy how none of the characters are perfect. It's a nice change from that "soul-redeeming" character that tends to pop up in books lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so lucky. Your Mom probably come's across AMAZING books and rare ones!! I will have to look into the Outlander! :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen Gone Girl the film yet, but I loved the book too. So full of suspense and I was actually surprised by the ending!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the ending of that book was a surprise. I had so many other practical ideas in mind. Though I still think the ending could have been better!

      Go watch the movie and let me know what you think of it ! :)

      Delete
  3. Super wicked post! I'm quite into books like Gone Girl with plot twist and such. Deff am guilty of reading ahead (oops). Would love to give this a read before watching the film.

    Love to see a blogger reviewing novels! Haven't seen much of that. Super rad blog x

    xxx
    Mariana
    themstudio13.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! My book reviews will tend to take on a theme and a lot more non-fiction than anything. But I will be posting more.

      PLEASE read Gone Girl. I was so impressed with it!!! Let me know what you think after you read it :)

      - D xo

      Delete
  4. I'm always looking for new books, I will keep an eye out for The Room, sounds good! I've read Gone Girl, did my own review on my blog too! It's now one of my favourite books ever. I do notice you didn't mention the feminist themes in it? To me that's the most important part of the book! I can't wait to see the film, although someone told me it's not as good as the book :( xo
    amber love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, I didn't mention it. I felt I would have gone on FOREVER about that if I did. Whoever told you about the movie is correct. However, when is a movie ever better than book? It loses too much detail, even if the author of the book did the screen play.

      Let me know what you think when you watch it :)

      - D xo

      Delete
  5. I really loved Gone Girl, haven't actually seen the film yet but I think I need to!
    Bethan Likes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!!! You must watch the film. Even though it's not as good as the book, it's still awesome!!

      - D xo

      Delete