11.07.2014

Facing Your Fears

This is Hallowe'en, This is Hallowe'en, Hallowe'en, Hallowe'en..... Yes I'm still singing, but I can't help it. The song is such a perfect transition from Hallowe'en to Christmas and it's addicting.

This past Hallowe'en, I got inspired by the lovely Nicole Guerriero and her Killer Clown Couple Make-up Tutorial. Here's the catch.... I'M AFRAID OF CLOWNS!!!!!! I know, I know, who in their right mind would be what they are afraid for Hallowe'en. Seems crazy, but it just felt right. As soon as I told my friends and family they thought it was completely ironic.




I have to mention that the Bloody Scab Makeup I used did me one better! Half way through the night this happened....


Which resulted in this by the end of the night...


Basically the blood took on a mind of it's own and it looked like I was actively bleeding. I absolutely LOVE that this happened! **see the pluto in the back...he gets mentioned later :)**

This is a terrible picture, but it's the only half decent one of my outfit! I'm wearing TuTu's around my ankles because well why not? My hair was done up in a faux mohawk. You'd think it would be easier with A LOT of hair, but it's not. 



Last year I was super stoked about how well I did my make-up that I thought I would share two shots of the killer cracked doll :) 




Now on to the point... I'm not writing this post about Hallowe'en or about how crazy it was that I actually pulled off this make-up with my sister's assistance. What I want to talk about, is facing fears.

Sharon from Under The Blush wanted to show me the tutorial, but was worried it would scare me. Fortunately the complete opposite happened, I fell in love.  I got thinking about why I was afraid of clowns and how I could find a way to push on from the fear. I know for a fact, that I hate how I can't read the emotions on their face. They could be beeming with excitement and have a painted on sad face. They could be narcissistic and have the biggest smile you've ever seen. What's worse is these creepy faced clowns are randomly produced ALL YEAR ROUND. Hallowe'en is one thing, but I can't seem to figure out what possesses someone to want to look like that and act weird for entertainment. Couple that with all the killer clowns that have been made in Hollywood over the years and you have yourself a great concoction for fear.

This next fear should come as NO surprise, but I don't like mascots and I don't like masks. Again with the exception of Hallowe'en. If I can't see your eyes or read your expressions, I'm mortified. AT my first job I was chased around the football stadium by the mascot and I've never let that memory go. There is also a picture of me from my first trip to Disney World as a child with Pluto and I look terrified. The sad part I was SOOOO excited to finally meet Pluto (or Plulu as I called him) since I've always loved him. I have at least ten different pluto's kicking around my house. He's quite the security blanket (dog).

So you're probably wondering how I deal with this since clowns, mascots and masks are actually a part of everyday culture and not just Hallowe'en. I face them head on. Mascots are still a bit tricky, but I don't freak out unless they are within an arms length to me. If they touch me or get close to me I start to feel a bit vulnerable. Plus since they are still human they can sense fear and will act on it since their identity is protected. I still work with the same company from time to time and have small run in's with the pesky Ti-Cat, but it's tolerable.

As for masks, it's same idea. It's a little strange for someone to randomly be wearing one, but even just taking a walk down the strip at Niagra Falls can create a run in. I can now walk by the entertainers without freaking out, I just can't interact with them. I used to have to stay across the street, but I challenge myself each time I see them.

Clowns however were/are more challenging, which is why I took Hallowe'en as the perfect opportunity. I'm going to be what I'm afraid of and show myself they are just "normal" people too. I would like to say this worked...but at one point during the night someone with creepy clown mask scared the shit out of me. I guess I didn't realize that by being a clown I was participating in some type of "ALL CLOWNS UNITE" party as they all kept coming to me. Regardless I think I did a great job getting through the night with only one minor (major!!) scare.

My best advice is to face your fears dead on if you can. I know for me I'll probably never face the fear of spiders (especially big ones), but that's okay. I can handle the little house spiders and I think that's good enough for me.

What are you afraid of and how do you handle it?


6 comments :

  1. Everyone always laughs at me for having a massive fear of balloons! I've hated them since I can remember, but I'm much better at dealing with it now. I'll just try and stand as far away from them as possible, especially if someone has one on the tube (I'm based in London)!
    Cx
    www.charliedistracted.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! I've never heard of a fear of balloon's before. Besides my one dog who absolutely hated them! What is it about them that you don't like? I know a lot of people hate the *POP* sound when they burst!

      - D xo

      Delete
  2. ohhh i can totally relate. love your hallowenn makeup! you look lovely

    www.bumascloset.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun!!! Sometimes I just try to find creative ways to tackle the crappy things in life!! Either way...Clowns still suck! :)

      - D xo

      Delete
  3. Amazing make up!
    Alex // www.prettythoughtsx.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! Check out the link for Nicole in the post for more amazing make-up tutorials! she's great!

      - D xo

      Delete